Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can anyone explain why my French Toast recipe don’t taste right any more?

I swear I been making this recipe for close to twentyseven years now and it always come out fine up to now. I used to make it for this special friend of mine. Well really more of a friend with benefits if you know what I mean (sorry can’t say her name because she is married and all) but since I moved to New York City my recipes dont seem to work out right. Really nothing seems to work out right for me here. They got cockroaches here the size of Chihuahuas. But that whole friend with benefits thing? I learned that here in New York. Who ever knew that there were some friends that folks dont sleep with? Why have friends at all if they dont come with benefits? All my friends back home in Bottom’s Holler came with benefits or they was’nt really my friends. We are just more friendly back home I guess.


Anyway I made this recipe with wonderbread, condensed milk, egg beaters and generic syrup from the Piggly Wiggly but they don’t have the same stuff here in New York at my local neighborhood store which they calls a Bo Dagle. Dont ask me. I dont know. They dont even hardly speak English! I mixed everything up and baked it in the oven but it didn’t set and now I don’t know what to do? I don’t fry ‘em anymore like other folks fried there French Toast because Uncle Earl had a bad heart so I made up this recipe to be more healthier. And everyone knows if you fry that French Toast in butter your just asking for a heart attack thank you very much.


Uncle Early died anyway but you would have to chalk that up to bourbon and driving because his heart was doing okay as far as I know so dont go looking at me because it was Verlene who went and bought him the bottle. Some of those hairpin curves can be real unforgiving in West Va. But Uncle Earl liked that recipe real well and I was making it for my new boyfriend Juan but it didn’t come out right and he got mad and left me for that crunchy headed Dominican gal who lives in Canarsie. I swear I dont think I am cut out for city life. I think I should just go back home and give up this career on the stage. I reckon fourty three is just a little too old to start a dancing career in the big city. But does anybody live in New York knows how to make this recipe and all the Spanish words so I can buy the right stuff from the Bo Dagle? I really want to make it again because I been missing Uncle Earl. He was good people.


Thanks a heap! God Bless!Can anyone explain why my French Toast recipe don’t taste right any more?
I really miss that Verlene.





Maybe it doesn't taste right because I've been too busy to shower. I'll get my soap on a rope later tonight and give you call.Can anyone explain why my French Toast recipe don’t taste right any more?
You need to try her, I mean it with that special creamy white sauce. Plus it will become more nutritious with so much protein.
Because I messed with it. I turned it into Bananad Stuffed French Toast with glaze.
Atmospheric Pressure differences?
l-o-effin'-l at ';brie stuffed French Toast';.....
I can play the banjo
I've lost the will to live......
It's the pan.


It's always the pan.


Blame the pan.


I would bet my last bottom dollar the pan you used back home was an old cast iron pan. Watcha usin now?


If'n it's not the pan it's gotta be the the fact that every thing tastes better after havin' ';friends'; over.


You might want to give up the idea of dancin'; and start tellin' stories. Sounds like your a natural at tellin stories, think what it did for Will Rogers. Or a more contemporary Arlo Guthrie and the story of Alice's Restaurant. Now that's a piece of work. And a fine story to boot.
Since your Uncle passed..go back to real eggs..cast iron skillet..........and real butter again.butter adds flavor when cooking the toast.


the roaches,,,,''raid jel.''......get it at the supermarket or hardware store.........the bugs will be gone in a week.


Career?....I don't know...........plug away for a year..........it's hard where ever you live..good luck
First off, your story is freakin hilarious! As far as the french toast goes, just keep trying different brands of you ingredients until you find something that's as close as possible to the original recipe. Or, you can visit your family and buy the stuff while you're there.
Don't you know by now that French Toast is sweeter when vodka's added to the recipe?





Copious amounts of vodka...
Maybe it's your own ';questionable'; taste, that has changed, the bitter aftertaste of lost dreams, dashed beyond hope, added to the bleak and frankly uninspiring economic climate, well, it's enough to make want to give up on the rest of your dreams! 43 is not too old, ('66 Vintage meself!) You can get all sorts of experimental meds these days, to give you that ';edge'; you so obviously seem to be lacking. (But I'm not convinced)
I think your French Toast recipe is the least of your problems





Try this





Brie-stuffed French Toast





Ingredients


For the soak:


2 cups half %26amp; half


2 tablespoons cinnamon


2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract


4 large eggs


1/2 cup superfine sugar


pinch of fine salt





For the bread:


8 sliced 2 inch thick Challah bread or Texas Toast


8 thinly sliced pieces of triple cream brie cheese from a quarter wheel


Unsalted butter, for the pan





Grade B Vermont maple syrup, for serving


Sliced Cortland or Honey Crisp apple, for garnish





Method


Combine half %26amp; half, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs, sugar and salt in a wide shallow baking dish. Stir vigorously to combine thoroughly.





Using a sharp pairing knife carefully cut a 3 inch long slice into the side of each slice of bread, going no further than halfway through the middle. Push a slice of brie into each slice.





Heat a non-stick pan to medium. Melt a tablespoon of butter for each batch in the pan. Check the egg mixture and whisk again if necessary. Dip a slice of bread into egg mixture, coating both sides thoroughly. When the foam from the butter in the pan has subsided, carefully lay the coated bread in. Cook for 45 seconds, turn and cook 45 to 60 seconds longer.





Remove from the pan. Continue coating and cooking the remaining stuffed bread in the same fashion. Keep cooked bread warm on a baking sheet in a low [200°] oven.





Serve with room temperature or gently heated maple syrup and sliced apple as desired.





This would also be delicious with candied pecans and/or raspberry coulis





Method for candied pecans:


Combine 2 cups pecans with nuts with 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until mixture crystallizes, about 15 minutes. Spread pecans on a buttered baking pan and sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn with an oiled metal spatula and bake an additional 15 minutes. Cool and store in an airtight container until ready to use.





Method for raspberry coulis: Purée 2 1/2 cups raspberries with 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice in a blender or food processor. Pour the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing on the solids. The resulting coulis can be stored in a squeeze bottle in the refrigerator for 3 days.





You can also make this coulis with raspberries you’ve frozen, or frozen raspberries from the supermarket. Buy fresh-frozen for this recipe. Don’t buy the raspberries in heavy syrup.
I'd be happy to share the recipe, but as it stands I will be due a commission on all benefits derived from French Toast. Start saving your money!
Ask the man in the bow dega for: ';componente por la frenchtoast.'; French Toast being one word. He probably thought you were asking for tostadas made in France, which is uniquely ridiculous. If you named your kid Joey would he respond to Jose? No. You must use what we like to call ';span-glish'; which is a mix of teh Spanish and English mixed together. Take it from a bastard who was married to a crunchy headed Port-o-requian for eleven years. When she nodded ';yes'; it sounded like shaking a cereal box. Just think what it was like having sex? My God, she could suck the antique finish off a gold plated finial. I'm only just saying, of course.


I love French Toast baked, tastes more interesting that way and I can make her, I mean it, laugh at all my stupid jokes. Butter is good for lubrication, though. Makes everything go down the throat easier.





Oh, and sorry to hear about your cousin Earl. I knew the man well, he used to pick me up hitchin' down Rt. 66 just outsidda Lynchburgh. He'd pass me his flask and I'd pass him whatever it was I'uz smokin'. Whoops, I think I just located myself. I was trying to make you think I was from New York. Anyway, I really miss a quality French Toast, will you share some with me? I can pay you in 'stamps, if that's okay? They don't take EBT at the wine cellar.

No comments:

Post a Comment